People who are planning to marry a British citizen or permanent resident in the UK may apply for a fiance / fiancee visa. This visa is called marriage visitor visa too. Unlike most other visas of its kind, there is no requirement that the applicant and the sponsor have lived together before applying.
Fiance / Marriage Visa Requirements
- The sponsor and the applicant must intend to get married within a six month period.
- They must have met each other.
- They must intend to live together permanently.
- The applicant must be able to support him/herself, or be supported by their partner, without access to public funds.
- There must be adequate accommodation in place.
- 18 or over
- free to give notice of marriage, to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival
- in a genuine relationship
- visiting the UK for less than 6 months
- leaving the UK at the end of your visit
Successful applicants are granted a 6 month visa in which to come to the UK and get married. They are not allowed to work while on this visa.
See standard visit visa for detail procedure.