Family of a Settled Person Visa

General Information

These visas are also “Dependency Visa”.

You’ll need a ‘family of a settled person’ visa if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and you want to join, for 6 months or more, a partner or family member who’s living in the UK permanently.

You don’t need a ‘family of a settled person’ visa to visit your family for up to 6 months. You may have to apply for a standard visit visa

Generally you will have to prove that:

  • you’re 18 or over, unless you’re applying as a child
  • your relationship to your family member is genuine and recognised in the UK, eg your marriage is legal in your country
  • you intend to continue living with your family member or partner in the UK after you apply (unless you’re a parent who has access to the child)
  • you and your family will have an adequate place to live in the UK
  • you have a good knowledge of English if you’re 18 or over – unless you’re applying as an adult dependent relative

Joining your partner

You must prove that you and your partner are 18 or over and in a genuine relationship. It means , you must be married or in civil partnership, living together in a relationship for 2 years or are engaged to be married or to become civil partnership.

Any previous relationships you or your partner had must have been permanently broken down.

You must also meet the financial requirement of:

  • £18,600 per year if you’re applying only for yourself
  • £22,400 per year for you and one child
  • £2,400 per year for each additional child

Joining your parents

You must be under 18 and all of the following must apply:

  • you’ll be living with your parent or parents
  • you’re not married, in a civil partnership or living an independent life
  • you’ll be supported and accommodated adequately without using public funds, or you meet the financial requirement

Coming to be cared for – adult dependent relative

You must be dependent on a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son or daughter who is living permanently in the UK.

You must prove that:

  • you need long-term care to do everyday personal and household tasks because of illness, disability or your age
  • the care you need is not available or affordable in the country you live in
  • the person you’ll be joining in the UK will be able to support, accommodate and care for you without claiming public funds for at least 5 years
  • you’re 18 or over


Your situation Fee
Joining your partner or parent £1,195
Coming to look after your child £1,195
Adult who needs to be looked after by a relative £2,676

You may also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application.

These kind of visas can be particularly critical and we can help you to make a clean and error free application. Contact us.